Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Comments continued

Some weeks ago I added the possibility to add comments to this blog. Well, I tried to add them. For this free Blogger blogs there's only a couple of freeware thingies, and you have to use some free service like Brinkster hosting (in case you're on the Active Server Pages side) where you can store your little database. I could well build it myself, but it would probably take a couple of hours to make a script that adds webform information to a table. And there's people who did it before. And well, they tell you to reuse code whenever possible, isn't it?
The error basically comes down to an irritating ASP error code 80004005. As this is an unknown error one is own his own in solving it. It can mean a lot of things, but in the case of this blog it is related to not being able to access the Access db (not trying to be funny) of the comment script (General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x868 Thread 0x824 DBC 0x1130c32c Jet). Which is strange, because it is related to some registry key error at Brinkster. And how could I possibly change something in their registry...
I have really wrestled with this error before in setting up a webserver. I also had an Access database from which a menu and some user information was loaded. Every now and then 'something' happened and this error popped up, rendering the database and therefore a part of the website useless. I checked everything IUSR account access to the applicable keys in the registry, read access to the database. When nothing helps I even tried to "full control" all these things (which is a bad practice, as at this pont you actually don't have a clue as to what's going on: don't you do it).

UPDATE: from Usability Watch India I learned about the YACCS comments. Have to try that out, but the only thing is you have to register and handle the comments via their server...